Contruction Engineer


Independent Skilled Visa (subclass189)

The Independent Skilled visa (Subclass 189) is an Australian visa for skilled workers or those with suitable qualifications or expertise in an occupation considered to be in demand in Australia.  This is the most sought after of all the skilled visas as there are no restrictions on where you need to live or work.  

General Eligibility Criteria


To lodge a valid application for an Independent Skilled visa, you must submit an expression of interest and you may be invited to apply for a visa.

You must:

  • Have a positive skills assessment from the relevant assessing agency for an occupation on the Medium/Long Term Skilled Occupation List 

  • Be invited to apply

  • Be under the age of 45 when invited to apply

  • Have a competent English test result or hold a relevant passport

  • Score a least 65 on the points-based test

  • Meet health and character requirements

What This Visa Allows

The Independent Skilled visa allows the holder to:

  • Live in Australia indefinitely

  • Travel to and from Australia for five years from the time the visa is settled (after this time you may require a resident return visa)

  • Study and work in Australia (with no restrictions)

  • Enroll in Medicare – a health care scheme in Australia

  • Sponsor eligible family members for possible permanent and temporary Australian visas

  • Apply for citizenship

Skilled Nominated Visa (subclass 190 visa)

The Skilled Nominated Visa is similar to the subclass 189 with both requiring an expression of interest, invitation and is also points tested. The main difference with the subclass 190 visa is it also requires a state or territory in Australia to nominate you.


All the states and territories have different skilled lists and requirements and these are dependent on skill shortages they have in their state or territory.  Some require you to apply for a nomination prior to being invited to apply for the visa, whereas, others may require a registration of interest and then have a small window to supply evidence once you have received an invitation.     

Below is a link to each state and territories current requirements.  Keep in mind, their skilled lists and requirements are often frequently changing.